The children killed in an RV fire Monday night were Damion Green, 1, and Kayden Green, 4. Their 3-year-old sister, Amiyah Green, was in the RV but was rescued with minor injuries.
Heather Green, their mother, was outside the RV when the fire started.
The father, Christopher Green, is an inmate in the Twin Falls County Jail. He has been notified, and accommodations were being made for him, officials said.
Gina Johnson said Creekside Court RV Park, which she manages, is providing the family housing for the next few months.
“I’ve known (Heather Green) for five years, and this woman would die for her children. She loved her babies,” Johnson said.
She said the stricken mother gave her this account:
Heather was standing outside, smoking, playing a game with one of her sons. He pushed the camper door toward her, and she pushed it back at him. Then the door clicked closed and locked from the inside
Soon after, Green looked back at the camper and saw flames.
“She was screaming for her daughter to unlock the door,” Johnson said.
Park manager Gary Zimmers said Heather yelled at a neighbor for help. When they couldn’t break into the RV, the neighbor ran to Zimmers for help.
“We sprinted back over there,” he said. Zimmers broke a window, reached in, grabbed Amiyah and pulled her out. In the process, he got a 5-inch gash on his arm.
“I still don’t know what I broke the window with,” he said. “It was dark, and I was groping around.”
Meanwhile, Johnson said, “Heather was at the other window. She almost cut her finger off. Her poor hands were burned.”
She couldn’t reach the boys but kept talking to them.
“She was standing by the window with her hand in there, telling them that she loved them. She made sure they heard it until she heard no more from them.”
Johnson said, “They were great kids. The youngest little boy, he was just a peach.”
Zimmers and other neighbors then sprayed a garden hose on the fire.
Zimmers said he’s thankful the girl was near a window. “Any quick-thinking person would have done the same thing.”
He said a fire official told him a space heater caused the fire. Police suspect that was the cause, and they confirm that the door had locked.
Tuesday morning, the smell of smoke still hung in the air at the High Desert R.V. Park.
Children’s toys were strewn outside. The camper interior was gutted, and areas around the door and windows were blackened with soot.
State Fire Marshal investigators were on site. So was a police detective, and a patrol officer provided security.
Detectives believe the children were the only people inside the RV at the time, a news release said.
The investigation could take days. Detectives are interviewing witnesses and the mother, who had lived at the park with her children for several months.
“The wheels are in motion,” said Ron Aguirre, battalion chief for the Twin Falls Fire Department.
Firefighters removed the little boys from the RV on Monday night, and the children were pronounced dead at St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center.
Johnson said she was with Heather at the emergency room, and the doctor, nurses and chaplain were “amazing. They were loving. The chaplain never left her side.”
Firefighters had been called about 6 p.m. Monday to the High Desert RV Park at 221 Addison Ave. W. The trailer, a Fleetwood Wilderness, was engulfed in flames.
Residents told them children were inside, and firefighters immediately went in and removed the boys.
The family lost everything. Johnson is collecting items for Heather and Amiyah at Creekside Court, 146 Addison Ave W.
Amiyah wears a size 4T and a size 8 in girl’s shoes. Heather wears a size small shirt, size 5 pants and size 8 shoes, Johnson said. She also welcomes blankets and other items for the family.
The American Red Cross is providing temporary housing, food and clothing for the girl and her mother. It also is coordinating efforts to help the family, said Aguirre.
An account has been set up at Farmers National Bank under the name “Gina Johnson, care of Heather Green.” Donations can be made at any branch. Johnson said donations have come in from residents of Washington, D.C., New York, Boise and the Magic Valley.
The TEARS Foundation is helping with funeral expenses and offers ongoing emotional support, Johnson said.
She said she will set up a Christmas tree with presents in the cabin where the family will stay. She wants to show Amiyah that “Santa Claus is still here.”
Randy Barker, a neighbor, said he had met the Greens, and Heather often stopped to say hello to him and his dog. He said the family had two dogs, but he didn’t know if they were in the RV Monday night.
Barker said he was away when the fire started but returned to see fire engines and police cars. “I thought I’d left my heater on in my trailer and it was on fire.”
Then another neighbor told him whose trailer was burning.
“Everybody in here is like a family almost,” Zimmers said.
As for the father, the jail can arrange special visits, but an early release or furlough would be for a judge to decide, said Capt. Brent Hilliard, of the Twin Falls County Sheriff’s Office.