Chicago Public Schools serving nachos with mouse droppings

Two students at Hirsch Metropolitan High School on the South Side were taken to the hospital this week after eating pre-packaged nachos in school lunches that had been contaminated by mouse droppings, officials said.


The students had eaten most of the nachos when they discovered the droppings in the bags Wednesday,  the school district said. They were taken to a hospital to be checked.

Lunchroom staff closed the kitchen and found that mice had gotten into a box of bagged nachos, an official said.
The kitchen has been shut down for inspection, and students are being served cold lunches from an outside source, the district said.
“Yesterday, when the problem was brought to our attention, we took immediate steps to close the kitchen and to provide the students with cold lunches,” the district said in a statement Thursday.
“At the close of school (Friday), pest control will be onsite at the facility to alleviate any remaining issues,” it said. “Throughout the weekend, we will be at the school to ensure the problem has been fully eradicated and that the kitchen will back in operation before the start of school on Monday.”

A spokeswoman for the city’s Health Department, Quenjana Adams, declined to release information about any health inspections at the school.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s