Parents’ agony as girl, three, is found dead in a bean bag during game of hide-and-seek

A three-year-old girl was found dead inside a large bean bag in her Kentucky home after she apparently burrowed inside the toy during a game of hide and seek. 

Kylee Mills Simmerman went missing just after 3pm on Wednesday inside her family home in Lexington, and one of her relatives called police to report her missing a half hour later.

Firefighters and police responded to the scene and one of the emergency medical technicians found her inside the bag.

She was unresponsive at the scene and was rushed to the University of Kentucky Hospital, but she could not be revived. The coroner listed her cause of death as asphyxia or suffocation.

 
Tragic: Kylee Mills Simmerman was reportedly found inside a large bean bag used as a chair in her family's home

Tragic: Kylee Mills Simmerman was reportedly found inside a large bean bag used as a chair in her family’s home

 Kylee was the youngest granddaughter of Kentucky state representative Terry Mills and he told The Lexington Herald-Leader that the death was a tragic accident.

‘We are suffering here,’ he said. ‘We’ll get through this, but it’s not going to be easy. We’ll just have to deal with this. 

The investigation into the death is ongoing, but the Fayette County coroner said there were ‘no outward signs of trauma’.

They would not officially deem the death an accident or a homicide.

‘There was a police interview for about three hours, and it was quite an ordeal for Kylee’s dad,’ Rep. Mills told The Lexington Herald-Leader.

‘The coroner’s office called my daughter. They apologized for the police interrogation. They assured her that the cause of death was suffocation.’

While the police and investigating authorities did not release any of the details about the nature of the girl’s death, her grandfather has been speaking out on behalf of his daughter Terri Lee Mills and her husband Andy Simmerman.

‘I think it’s clear what happened… we believe she climbed into a bean bag,’ Rep. Mills said.

If that is the case, her death is far from the first to occur under such circumstances. Consumer advocates have issued warnings about the suffocation and choking hazards for decades.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s