Girl, 7, accidentally strangles herself with a jump rope while outside playing

A seven-year-old girl has died in Sammamish,  Washington after she accidentally strangled herself with a jump rope in a school  playground.

The unnamed girl, her five-year-old brother  and two adult supervisors were at the Samantha Smith Elementary School yesterday  evening when the little girl began to play with the rope around her neck and was  told not to.

Left alone while her brother and the two  adults left to pick berries around 7 p.m., the group returned to find the girl  unconscious and face down on a slide with the jump rope around her  neck.

The slide and playground in Sammamish, Washington where the seven-year-old girl died after an apparent strangulation accident

The slide and playground in Sammamish, Washington where  the seven-year-old girl died after an apparent strangulation accident

The Seattle Times reported that the two  adults were her mother and a baby-sitter and that the little girl was rushed to  Overlake Hospital Medical Center but doctors there were unable to revive  her.

King County Sheriff’s Office said that the  death appeared to be an accident because no one else was known to be on the  school grounds at the time.

The local Fox affiliate has reported that the  girl had been playing with her brother in the school playground, placing the  rope around her neck, which her younger sibling told her not to  do.

However, according to Sgt. Cindi West of King  County Sheriff’s office, the death is being investigated by the Major Crimes  unit which is standard in all child death cases.

It is not known if the young girl  inadvertently died while experimenting with the notorious ‘choking  game’.

Samantha Smith Elementary School, in Sammamish, Washington: The playground can be seen centre, while the main school buildings are to the top right

Samantha Smith Elementary School, in Sammamish,  Washington: The playground can be seen centre, while the main school buildings  are to the top right

The deadly game, which has become an Internet  craze thanks to  numerous video demonstrations posted online, involves  intentionally  trying to choke oneself to attain a brief and intense high  produced when oxygen intake is decreased.

The Dangerous Behaviors Foundation,  Inc,  started in 2006 to raise awareness of the choking game, says  there’s no way to  determine accurately the number of deaths linked to  the dangerous practice  because no public health agency tracks them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s