Live Forever as a Limited Edition Vinyl Record Containing Your Ashes
We recently learned that immortality is just a few years away, but if you’re not willing to wait that long, perhaps you could try living forever as a playable vinyl record containing your cremated ashes.
I know, it’s not exactly your idea of immortality, but hey, nothing is perfect. At least you’ll be able to (sort of) talk to your loved ones from beyond the grave, by recording your voice on the record. Actually, And Vinyly, the company offering this bizarre service, allows you to record pretty much anything you want on the record, as long as it’s not longer that 24 minutes. It can be a “Death Metal” (pun intended) compilation, a recording of your voice, or just 24 minutes of creepy silence, so those close to you can hear your “pops and clicks” as the needle scratches your ashes. Pretty neat, right?
And Vinyly offers a basic £3,000 ($4,700) package that includes up to 30 vinyls, the standard R.I.V. (Rest in Vinyl) artwork with your name, the date of birth and date of death. If you want something special, your family can send a photo of you and artist James Hague will paint a unique acrylic and ash portrait, or you can arrange a 1 hour sitting with James, before you die. If you’d like to be buried, And Vinyly can make the records with just ashes from some body parts you agree to have cremated. As you can see they’re very flexible.
Just to make things more clear, here are the steps you have to cover in order to have your immortality as a vinyl, as listed on the company’s website:
1. Confirm with us your location and the viability of these services in your area
2. Identify a family member or a chosen representative who will accompany you (your ashes) to the pressing of your records
3. Establish audio and cover art content
4. Attend the mastering of your record
5. Receive playable proof sample of your record and cover
7. Get cremated
8. Your family member or chosen representative books and attends the sprinkling and pressing of your records
9. Your chosen recipients will be sent details of where to collect their copy of your personal record
10. Live on from beyond the groove